I promise.

I promise.
Unconditionally...

Sunday, August 23, 2015

Acceptance: How many, exactly, are 'several'?



Truth:

Our Oncology team has been soft-pedaling the truth with vague terminology and gentle-speak.  Last night, we returned to the ER at Mercy Gilbert to address some chest pains Terry was experiencing.  They investigated a potential blood clot in his lungs by way of another CT scan of the upper thorax.  He rested for about an hour while we waited for the scan results.


Good news: 

No blockages or clots, no obvious issues with his pancreas (apparently the giveaway for pancreatitis or pancreatic cancer is non-stop vomiting, eesh.) or gall bladder.  Since the pancreas is likely to be the next (last) organ to be infiltrated by new lesions, I was very relieved by the findings, as was T.


Back to the truth:

The radiologist on duty reportedly freaked out and ran the report back to the doctor, not having read Terry's history.  He  thought that perhaps we were unaware of his metastatic disease.  

After the report circulated, the entire medical staff then proceeded to stop into our little curtained corner to say 'hi'. ... A bit obviously. Their demeanor had changed from preoccupied to visceral concern and/or pity.  Terry became the star of the show, sadly, but we were treated like royalty.  "How about some morphine?", the head doctor urged. We accepted.

Since the ER medical team isn't in on the big secret of 'several', they simply handed me the scan and lab results.  Now I know how many 'several' is.  Check the third paragraph.


So there it is.  Six months ago, there were three.  Today there are too many to count.  Jesus. 

Acceptance: No news is good news 

Unfortunately, Terry read the report too. Fortunately, he was not deterred by it.  It did list his newest osseous lesion (bone: T12), but we suspected that from our scan in June.  It is probably good that the page with the liver tumors was omitted, though.  We'll know soon enough.  

Today he took his son with him to the studio for some additional guitar work, and I'm going to be late for my scheduled vocal time if I don't go now.  Just wanted to get this development down for those of you who are following and love him. 

I'm guessing that the number of folks who love Terry is.... well,  Several.